Investment Manager - (Design and Planning focused)
- Negotiable + car allowance, pension, travel, bonus
- UK, London
- Construction & Engineering, Planning Engineering
- 21st June 2019
- Job Type
Job Title - Investment Manager - New Business Team Design and Planning Focused
Location - London
Salary - £50,000 / £65,000 + car allowance, health car, pension and 20% bonus.
My client is seeking an experienced design and planning candidate to join as an Investment Manager in their New Business team. (The level of Investment Manager is equivalent to what is commonly called Development Manager at some other development organisations).
This is an exciting and new role that is suitable for those candidates with design and planning qualifications and experience but also want:
- to work for an equity investment firm;
- be given greater responsibility to manage architects and planning advisers;
- be involved in public sector and private sector developments and play a leading role in the planning and design process on these projects; and
- be more involved and learn about the business development, commercial and financial aspects of a project rather than just being solely focused on design and planning issues.
This role has a design and planning focus but the successful candidate will also be expected to network with others in the industry and attend relevant industry events/conferences. Eventually, as part of this networking, the successful candidate will be encouraged to identify and source new development opportunities as well via existing and new network contacts.
The candidate should have experience in at least one of the following two sectors: student accommodation and/or real estate in particular PRS, residential and affordable housing. Experience in the development of commercial and/or healthcare buildings is also relevant.
Given the breadth of projects that my client develops and invests into, the successful candidate will also have an opportunity to work in other sectors in the longer term such as infrastructure and other public private partnerships.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
* Identify potential land opportunities from reviewing local planning policy and planning applications Including researching current and emerging planning policy for specific projects and location
* Undertake planning appraisals of potential development sites and make recommendations on the prospects of achieving planning permission.
* Promote sites through the planning process and assist in securing planning consent and discharge of planning conditions
* Negotiate the S106 process including the carrying out of viability appraisals for planning purposes
* Appointment, management and organisation of consultants involved in the preparation of planning applications, including all design and supporting information.
* Liaison with planning and other regulatory bodies.
* Feasibility design studies for new/potential developments.
* Undertake design optimisation reviews;
* Review design options and issues; undertake cost benefit analysis
* Management of the electronic and hard copy issue process and registering of drawings received from consultants and internal design team members.
* Assisting other members of the internal design (Civil Engineering/Structural/Building Services etc) team in their day-today duties.
* Organising and chairing external/internal design & planning team meetings as required.
* Managing design problem issues raised as required
* Monitor performance of external consultants against set objectives and report concerns to the Director of Development;
* Monitor costs against budget and assist with invoice approvals
* Determine the appropriate method of acquisition and manage the planning process (including promotion of the site and representations to local planning authorities etc) to ensure it is carried out effectively until an implementable consent is obtained.
* Provide expert knowledge on current government legislation and planning policy/advice
* Graduate, with a reasonable period working in a professional environment
* Post-graduate qualification in design and/or planning or working towards this qualification,
* Experience in achieving planning on projects and strong knowledge of the RIBA design process.
* Experience dealing with contractors and the management of architects and planning consultants.
* Strong business development skills and willingness to network and develop contacts in the industry and attend industry events
* Outstanding written skills and grammar
* Willingness to learn, understand and run development appraisals related to real estate and student accommodation pro
* Proactive and willing to network with the wider real estate market
* Accustomed to open working relationships with colleagues and clients, an excellent communication style especially to senior management and non-technical people..
* Desire for continuous improvement and development and to support that of others
* Independent minded and self-motivated
* Positive, flexible approach with the ability to dealing with a changing economic and political environment ,
* Process oriented approach with an attention to detail
* Pro-active, motivated and a self starter to take initiative on matters when required
* Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
* Customer focused
* Creative/ problem solving skills
* Able to work collaboratively with other people
* Good at working under pressure and able to strike the right balance between taking the initiative and working individually, and consulting with others when problems/challenges arise
* Flexible and must be able to complete priority tasks to a high standard on schedule
The role will be based in London and there will no immediate requirements for travel abroad for business purposes. However there will be travel within the UK and Republic of Ireland that may be required from time to time.
If you feel this is the role for you. Please apply below with your latest CV.
Cobalt Recruitment London is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.